Thursday, March 03, 2016

Representatives from SIPTU say they are willing to defer next week's Luas strike to facilitate new third party talks at the WRC.

It comes after drivers said trams will not run on Easter Sunday or Bank Holiday Monday - in addition to action next Tuesday, March 8 and St Patrick’s Day.

[raw][/raw]

Transdev, the company which runs Luas, has stated its willingness to attend talks but said its invitation had to be withdrawn because of last week’s unofficial action by some Luas drivers.

SIPTU's Owen Reidy said that because relations are so bad, all parties now need to come to the table.

"I've got nothing but the height of respect for Kieran Mulvey and his [WRC] colleagues do, they're probably one of the finest public sector entities and they've resolved a lot of disputes, and the reality is the workers we represent, and Transdev management, because the relationship is so bad, it cannot be done on our own," he said.

"We have no problem attending the WRC any time and we are prepared to defer next week's action."

Comments are closed.

Contact Newsdesk: 053 9259900

More National News

Fine Gael remain committed to Irish Water

More by this Journalist

Fine Gael remain committed to Irish Water